Monday, March 24, 2008

Movie Review: The Nanny Diaries (2007)

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Laura Linney
Director: Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini
Genre: Comedy
Rating: PG-13


Scarlett Johansson plays a woman just out of college who doesn't know what she wants to do with her life or even just for the summer. A job as a nanny "chooses" her and she soon is working on the upper east side in NYC. Her job is to live with this new family and take care of their son. It seems her biggest chore is to protect the child from the parents.

My wife read The Nanny Diaries and thought it was okay, so we saw the movie to see which was better. Unfortunately, it seems the book was better. I just couldn't get into the movie like I wanted to. It is directed by the guys who did American Splendor. I guess they really like Paul Giamatti, because he plays the father of the child. Giamatti isn't in this one much at all, but at least he does have his usual “angry Giamatti scene” which is always good.

I think women will enjoy this movie more than me, especially those who know people in New York. Will nannies like it? I’m not sure about that.

“The teddy bear has been compromised.”


Have you seen this movie? Go to DISCUSS MOVIE to enter the open discussion. You can include questions, comments or even your own review. CAUTION: May contain spoilers!

No comments: