Friday, April 25, 2008

Movie Review: Lars and the Real Girl (2007)



Starring: Ryan Gosling, Patricia Clarkson
Director: Craig Gillespie
Genre: Comedy
Rating: PG-13

Ryan Gosling plays Lars, who is one odd little character. He lives in his own little world in a large garage owned by his brother. His mind comes up with an idea to get him into the world of the "normal". Order a life-size girl doll on the internet and poof you got yourself a girlfriend. Hilarity and strange looks follow Lars afterwards.

I thought the plot of Lars and the Real Girl was very interesting, but that it could have been a little more polished. I felt that I needed more of a background of Lars and his family to make the movie more cohesive. There seemed to be too many gaps in the timeline. I really like Gosling in the title role, but I think the town people come off sillier than they are supposed to be. I wanted to like this movie so much, but even with its uniqueness it just didn’t completely appeal to me.

If you want a unique movie with a sometimes humorous plot this would be a good pick.

"The cheese inspectors beat the crap out of us."


Have you seen this movie? Go to DISCUSS MOVIE to enter the open discussion. You can include questions, comments or even your own review. CAUTION: May contain spoilers!

No comments: